Tuesday, July 5, 2011

ASP.NET with Window Form Application

I am a beginner in the Dot NET environment and not really happy with it from what I have read and done with Dot NET so far.

I need to migrate or write a program that will utilize ASP.NET with window Form Application. For whatever reason, I can't create this program as a single project. Am I miss understanding what Dot NET is or is that how Dot NET designed to be?

I have Delphi Prism(DP), which is based on Visual Studio 2010. Under DP, I can only create separate projects for ASP.NET and/or Windows Form Application. I can not seem to use little bit of both world under a single project. Is it even possible to do that?

My Delphi Prism Dot NET program is supposed to be part window based and part web-based. As a window based program, it is supposed to send and receive data on the serial port and network. As a web-based, it is supposed to give the user access to the window-based (server side) of the program on the Internet or LAN or Intranet.

I ran all their demos and searched online for help. Still, I am having hard time with it.
I am getting frustrated. I thought, programming in Dot NET was going to be a breeze, but it is turning out to be a problem. I should know this by now for Dot NET being Microsoft.
If anyone can give me hints or more information to help me understand Dot NET little better, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Answer:
They are separate projects for separate problem domains. You would not and can not intermingle an ASP.NET project and a Windows Forms project.

Choose a project type and build out something simple. After you have crossed that bridge move that concept to another project type (WPF, Silverlight, ASP.NET MVC, etc...) and note the differences.
The underlying language will carry across projects such as C#, VB, etc...however the project type/framework will not.
 

No comments: